Driving in the hot summer months presents a unique set of challenges and potential problems. Follow our guide, detailing a number of andy summer driving tips that will help you to prepare for summer driving and avoid encountering any pitfalls.
Prepare your vehicle
- Check oil, coolant and screen-wash levels.
- Ensure tyres are fully inflated to cope with increased loads of passengers or luggage. Under-inflated tyres wear faster, are more susceptible to damage and can interfere with the handling of your car.
Take care on the road
- If your car starts to overheat, stop as soon as possible and allow it to cool down.
- Drive with the windows up to avoid suffering with hay fever. If you are driving at 70mph and sneeze you can lose vision for up to 100 metres.
- Keep a pair of sunglasses in the glove compartment as an extra precaution against hay fever and to avoid losing visibility in bright sunlight.
- You can suffer fatigue faster in hot weather so make sure you take a break of at least 15 minutes every two-and-a-half hours. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and avoid heat stroke.
- If you are travelling in a convertible car on a sunny day, wear sun protection such as sun cream and a wide-brimmed hat.
If you would like to know more about any of the tips discussed here, please contact RMB in Darlington, Northallerton or Stockton. Our highly-qualified technicians can perform a Summer Health Check to make sure your car is ready for summer driving. You can book an appointment for your care and maintenance services by contacting your nearest dealership today.